So you think you are a hot shot blackjack player? Take this short quiz and see how much you really know about the game.
1. You hold a pair of 8s and the dealer shows a face card. Would youHenry Tamburin is the editor and publisher of the Blackjack Insider Newsletter and author of the best-selling Blackjack: Take the Money & Run. He is also the lead Instructor for the Golden Touch Blackjack course, a feature writer for Casino Player magazine (and 6 other publications); an owner of a casino gambling publishing company (www.rsucasinobooks.com) and the host of www.smartgaming.com. For a free three month subscription to the Henry's Blackjack Insider Newsletter with full membership privileges go to www.bjinsider.com/free. Henry's website is www.smartgaming.com hit, stand, or split?
2. You hold an Ace, 7 (8 or 18) and the dealer shows a 5 upcard. Would you stand, hit or double down?
3. You hold a 10,6 and the dealer shows a 7 upcard. Would you hit or stand?
4. You hold a pair of 9’s and the dealer shows a 9 upcard. Would you stand or split?
5. You hold a 10,2 and the dealer shows a 3. Would you hit or stand?
6. You hold a pair of 5’s and the dealer shows a 6. Would you hit, split, or double down?
7. You hold a pair of face cards and the dealer shows an ace and asks for “insurance (see blackjack insurance)”? Would you make the insurance bet? Yes or No.
8. You have 2, 3, ace, ace and the dealer shows a 5 upcard. Would you stand or hit?
9. You have 9, 6 and the dealer shows a face card. Would you stand, hit, or surrender?
10. You have Ace, 3, 4 and the dealer shows a 9 upcard. Would you hit or stand?
Since insuring your blackjack yields a $20 profit whether the dealer has a blackjack or not, the casino offers players even money right up front. The bottom line with even money is this: If you always take it, in the long run you'll be giving away approximately four percent of your average profits on the hand. Blackjack: Take The Money And Run will teach you how to consistantly walk away from the tables with profits. The winning techniques are based on Dr. Tamburin's 25 years of experience as a winning blackjack. Sep 30, 2017 Henry Tamburin is the author of the best-selling book, Blackjack: Take The Money and Run, editor of the Blackjack Insider e-Newsletter, and Lead Instructor for the Golden Touch Blackjack.
Which is True or False statement.
11. Always take even money on a blackjack hand when the dealer shows an ace.
12. The third base player is the most important player on the table. If he stands or hits correctly, everyone will win.
13. A player who doesn’t have a clue about when to stand or hit will cause his fellow table players to lose.
14. Card counters always win.
15. Surrender is a playing rule that when used correctly can limit your losses.
16. Which of the following rules favor the casino and which favor the player.
Dealer hits soft 17
Double after pair splitting
6 decks vs. one deck
Resplit aces allowed
Double only on 10 or 11
No resplitting of pairs
Answers (give yourself 5 points for each correct answer)
1. Split. You are better off starting a hand with an 8 rather than with a 16 against a dealer face card. Overall you’ll win 5% more by splitting compared to hitting (standing is the least desirable play). As a general basic strategy rule you should always split 8’s no matter what the dealer shows.
2. Double down. Even though an 18 is a strong player hand, you will win 10% more money in the long run if you double down. The main reason is that by doubling you can get more money on the table when the dealer has a good chance of breaking with a 5 upcard.
3. Hit. Most blackjack players will hit a 16 against a dealer 10 but not against the dealer’s 7 upcard. They reason is that a 10 is a stronger card than a 7 so it’s more important to hit against the 10. In fact the opposite is true. It’s a worse mistake to stand on 16 against a dealer’s 7 vs. a 10 upcard. Why? Even though the risk of busting the 16 is the same whether the dealer has a 7 or 10 upcard, your chances of eking a win by drawing a small card are greater when the dealer shows a 7 compared to a 10. Overall you’ll win $7 more per $100 bet in the long run when you hit compared to standing.
4. Split. You are slightly better off starting with a count of 9 rather than an 18 against a dealer's 9 upcard. You’ll win 41% and lose 59% of the hands if you stand on 18 (at a dollar a hand your net loss is $18 after $100 bet). If you split, you’ll end up winning about 47% of the hands and losing 53% (net loss is $12 – because you double your bet when pair splitting- per $100 bet). You’ll gain an extra $6 by splitting.
5. Hit. Only a 10-value card will bust your 12. Plus the dealer is not as vulnerable to busting with a 3 (and 2) upcard compared to a 4, 5 or 6 upcard. For these reasons you should hit 12 when the dealer shows a 3 (and 2) upcard but stand if the dealer’s upcard is 4, 5 or 6.
6. Double down. Most novice players make the mistake of splitting 5’s. Never split 5’s. Treat a pair of 5’s as a 10 and against a dealer’s 6 upcard the best percentage play is to double down.
7. No. Insurance pays 2 to 1 on a bet that has less than 1 chance in 3 of winning (i.e. the odds are greater than 2 to 1). That will cost you money –about $7 for every $100 worth of insurance bets you make. Don’t do it!
8. Hit. Be careful with soft hands. A 2, 3, ace, ace is a soft 17 and you should never stand on soft 17 no matter what the dealer shows.
9. Surrender. You will lose greater than 50 cents per dollar bet if you stand or hit. By surrendering you limit your loss to exactly 50 cents. Therefore you will save some money in the long run when you surrender.
10. Hit. An ace, 3, 4 is soft 18, Normally you would stand when you hold an 18 but in this case you have a soft 18. Against a dealer’s 9, you are slightly better off hitting a soft 18 rather than standing.
11. False. You will be giving up about 4% of your potential profits in the long run every time you take even money. Your best percentage play is to pass on taking even money.
12. False. This is misconception that most novice players have about blackjack.
13. False. This is another misconception.
14. Card counters do not win every time they play. They have a long-term advantage, which means over time they will win more money than lose. Over the short term – like a single playing session – they can lose.
15. True. When used correctly surrender can limit player’s losses.
16. The player favorable rules are double after pair splitting, resplit aces, surrender.
The casino favorable rules are dealer hits soft 17, 6 decks vs. one deck, double only on 9 and 10, and no replitting of pairs.
If you scored 75 or 80 you should be holding your own at the blackjack tables.
If you scored 60 – 80 you are probably losing more money than winning when you play blackjack.
If you scored less than 60, you had better spend some time improving your blackjack playing skills otherwise be prepared to lose a lot of money.
Henry Tamburin is another academic genius in chemistry and mathematics, which is usually a great combination of mathematical and analytical knowledge that can be used in card counting. He is also famous for the numerous books about blackjack and professional gambling as well as his appearances on television and radio shows. His profile and biography is quite interesting and involves many different casino games.
1968 is the year when he first really got into gambling on a trip to Las Vegas. Around this time, he was still a graduate student and was studying chemistry at the University of Maryland. He and his wife took went on the trip with another graduate student but they were worried because they were sort of broke like any other college student. Eventually they decided to head on out.
Once they got to a hotel, there was a very long line so his wife waited in line and Henry sat down to play some blackjack while they waited. As a scientific mind, he knew from earlier stories that the game of blackjack was actually a game you could take advantage of and beat. He thought of this while he was playing. Unfortunately, before his wife got back to him with the room key, Tamburin lost all of the money to the game that they brought with for gambling throughout the trip before they even walked into the hotel room. After that moment, blackjack became personal and he vowed to master it once and for all.
Let's not forget that he had a PhD in Chemistry and had advanced skills in mathematics, so he had the intelligence and skills needed to take on blackjack at the scientific level. Over time, he did research to come up with an optimized strategy to gain an advantage at the game. He didn't stop with blackjack, but continued on to a number of other games that can be found in casinos. He even started up his own blackjack school based out of New Jersey, which contained seminars and instructed students in important topics.
One of Henry Tamburin's most famous book is called 'Blackjack: Take the Money and Run'. This is an excellent guide for any blackjack player because it teaches just about everything about blackjack, including his stories about card counting experience, different strategies including basic strategy, beginner level card counting systems, bankroll management and lots of advice and analysis behind the game.
He wrote a similar book about 'Craps: Take the Money and Run', which again was very popular and he talked about different strategies to use in craps. This book included guides on dice setting, advantage play and just really good tips and advice about this particular game. One notable bit of information is that when Tamburin was participating in a craps dice control class, he broke the record for the number of straight rolls without rolling a 7, which was 45 rolls in a row when the previous record was 39 rolls. Henry wrote a number of other books related to general gambling at various casino games including roulette, poker, three card poker, sports betting, video poker, slots, baccarat and just about anything you can think of.
List of Blackjack and Gambling books authored by Henry Tamburin:
Besides his own books, Tamburin was responsible for over 700 other articles and he writes for a number of other publications included in the list below. He has even contributed to a number of other books including the Experts Guide to Casino games and the Ultimate Blackjack Book. Some of these can even be found online at various websites and e-zines. We apologize if we have not listed all of them, but he is an active writer and a major name in the gambling world.
List of publications that Henry Tamburin writes for and is involved with:
Not only does Henry write books and publications for magazines, he also teaches people how to play blackjack and has specialized courses for beginners, intermediate and advanced players. Usually these are 3 hours long and he will go through the basics first before moving on to card counting. In fact, he will even travel around though the country giving courses and seminars on Speed Count, which is his own blackjack system.
For starter online casino offers free spins no deposit scheme so you can play and win money without wasting money from your hand. The goal of free casino game is free time, free money and free enjoyment. The great way to try casino games is no deposit games. Dec 19, 2019 A few tips to win real money with free spins Always use the free spins when you receive them from a casino because it is a free chance. Have a good look at the bonuses you receive and what amount you need to deposit in order to get. Use your winnings on other games at the casino. Win real money online casino free spins. A promotion with bonus spins is your best chance to play Slot machine games, discover new titles and perhaps also win real money for free. Almost every online Casino, at some point, will use free spins bonuses to convince you to sign up and have a look at their games. Usually, a big batch of free spins is offered right after registration, but there are online casinos that offer free spins for a deposit too. Free spin or free spins are usually for one slot and the player cannot change the bet amount. Anything you win will be added as bonus money or real money depending on the casino. There are two ways you can win real cash with free spins from online casinos. The first one is by claiming a “no deposit” casino bonus which will give you an opportunity to play any game with some free spins. It’s great because you are not risking any of your money, and you can make real money from it.
His normal 'day job' was at a company dealing with chemicals where he worked for 30 years. Sac and fox casino kansas. He actually did not consider himself to be a professional gambler or blackjack player and he really didn't devote much time to the game until after he retired, ironically. Although, he is still considered a full-fledged professional by the gambling community as he has appeared on the televised Ultimate Blackjack Tour, which is a special tournament exclusive only to the best blackjack players in the world.
Nowadays, Henry is still playing various games and resides in Las Vegas. In recent times, he has been getting hooked on video poker, writing for the Blackjack Insider Newsletter and running his very own website. Check out Henry Tamburin's Official Website to read more about his tips, view his publications and get more information about his books.